Sunday 10 January 2010

How can I help, when I can't help myself?

To impart guidance, one must be a master


Dr Genesis is having trouble sleeping.

He is not enjoying his job. The patients are too demanding, the staff too sparse, the practice manager out of his depth, and the partner too inexperienced. Dr Genesis is just a locum, but has a notice period of several months. He feels underpaid, overworked and exploited. But this is nothing new. During the years of hospital training, I often felt overworked and underpaid. But this is different.

There is no one to look up to. At least in hospital, I may think: goodness, the consultant's skill is really exceptional, I don't mind working like a dog because I have respect for my senior. But in this GP practice, the "partner" to whom Dr Genesis reports, is only slightly older but does not engender professional respect. Dr Genesis does not agree with his medical decisions and is not impressed with his clinical acumen.

And thus Dr Genesis found himself awake at 4am, two nights running, worrying about work.

Later that day, the familiar patients with their familiar concerns. "I'm having trouble sleeping, doctor". So am I, I think. What can I do for you, if I cannot help myself?






No comments: